Sunday, March 6, 2016

Science Fair Project!!

This week, our class participated in a science fair at Bishop Dunn Memorial School. We had to conduct any experiment of our interest and submit it on a poster board to BDMS. My science fair project was testing to see if listening to music helps you run faster. I always thought it helped but I never got to conduct an experiment on it so I was anxious to start right away!


To conduct my experiment, I gathered 5 participants and asked them to meet me at a track. I was going to have the participants run half a mile on a track while listening to music and half a mile on a track without listening to music. The trial that has the shortest time is the one that is the fastest. On the track, I had the participants run half a mile, or six laps around the track, without listening to music and I recorded all of their times. Then, I met up with the participants at a track on a different day to have them run half a mile with listening to music. Then, I recorded all their times. As I was analyzing my data, I concluded that all of the participants' times while listening to music were shorter than their times without listening to music, meaning that they run faster while listening to music. I really enjoyed completing this project because it was engaging and I liked the fact that we had some freedom in picking out our topics! Here is a picture of the final result of my science fair project poster board! 



This was my first time participating in a science fair and I honestly am a little disappointed because I would have loved to do this when I was younger. This project is very beneficial to my learning along with all other students as it gives a hands-on experience with the scientific method and also shows the importance of it when conducting experiments. It also demonstrates to students how to conduct of an experiment. When I become a teacher, I would love to have my class conduct science experiments just like this project. If the school that I am teaching at has science fairs, I will encourage all my students to participate as they can learn so much and apply their understanding of different science topics!

No comments:

Post a Comment